North Side Convergence
I discovered that multiple branches of my tree lived in North Side, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where I was born at exactly the same time. They probably were riding on the same trolleys and shopping at the same stores.
- Earnest Thornton and Helen Strawser, my paternal grandparents, moved to North Side Pittsburgh around 1929 to find work.
- William Weiler and his daughter Louise Weiler (my maternal grandmother), moved to North Side Pittsburgh in 1927 to pastor a church on Ohio Street.
- Homer Wagner (my maternal grandfather) moved to Pittsburgh to go to college in 1930.
- Homer Wagner’s grandmother Nora Eckert was born in North Side (then called Allegheny City), but moved to Canton, Missouri, as a young woman to marry her husband. Homer was born in Canton.
- The Eckert cousins still living in Pittsburgh lived on East Street, very near where the Weilers moved to. The Eckerts were butchers who had a thriving business in the growing city.
- Homer met Louise Weiler.
- Earnest’s son Paul met Homer and Louise’s daughter Lois.
- I was later born in Pittsburgh on the North Side – my parents Paul and Lois were living on a houseboat on the Allegheny River at the time.
Leave a Reply